You can make your ticket fields dynamic so that the fields change based on the user input. In Freshdesk, you can add dynamic sections under the default field Type as well as any custom dropdown fields that you create. Learn how to create custom dropdown fields here. Different sets of fields can appear based on the option a user chooses within the dropdown. For example, in an e-commerce scenario, the user can see the 'Enter order ID' field when he chooses 'Return' as the type field value and 'Select new size' field when he chooses 'Replacement'.
Using dynamic sections in your ticket form will improve the structure and help your agents filter tickets easily and resolve them faster.
A quick guide to creating dynamic forms:
- Log into your account as an administrator.
- Go to the Admin > Workflows > Ticket Fields.
- You can associate dynamic sections with any 2 dropdown fields in your ticket form. This can be either the Type field and 1 custom dropdown field or any 2 custom dropdown fields.
- A dropdown can have multiple sections and each section can have multiple different fields.
- Click on the Add Section button (the plus icon next to the dropdown field).
- In the following pop-up, give the section a title and associate it with a value in the dropdown. When the end-user chooses a particular dropdown value, the associated section will be displayed to them.
- You can customize the fields in each of the Sections by using a variety of form fields. Here is a list of drag-and-drop form fields and their typical use-cases.
|Custom field type||Example use-cases|
|Single line text||Customer name, company name|
|Multi-line text||Additional description, notes|
|Number||Order ID, Phone number, etc.|
|Dropdown||Quantity, Size, etc.|
|Date||Purchase date, complaint date, etc.|
|Dependent fields||Country, State, and City|
- The fields created under each section will appear as custom fields in the ticket view filters. They can also be used to create automation rules.
- You can drag and drop any of the form fields under each Section. You can also rearrange the order of the fields within a section.
- You can delete or archive a section by clicking on the trash/archive icon next to its name. Please note that you won't be able to delete a section unless you delete the fields under each section.
- You cannot create a new field with an existing field name. If you want to create a field that has already been created under a section, you have to copy/move it to your new section.
- You can move or copy fields from one section to another by dragging and dropping them in the target section.
- Moving a field from the source section to the target section will remove the occurrence of that field in the source section and will move it to the target section.
- Copying a ticket field from the source section into the target section will retain the occurrence of that field in the source and will merely add a copy of it into the target section. Copying will not create a new instance of the field. You can copy a field when you want to use the same field in multiple sections.
- Once you have customized the form, click Save. Now your agents and customers will see the new dynamic form when they create a ticket.
The dynamic ticket form - Agent view
The dynamic ticket form - End-user view
Note: The dynamic ticket fields feature is available only for Estate and Forest plans. If you set up dynamic forms and then downgrade to a lower plan, the form structure will be removed but all the fields will remain (i.e) the dynamic fields will be moved out of the sections. No data will be lost in the process.