We have recently refreshed our branding across our offerings and changed the names of our pricing plans. If you have signed up before Aug 9, 2021, please click Previous plans to view your applicable plans.
We assure you that this change will not impact your product experience, and no action is required on your part.
If you are a business that frequently interacts with customers on WhatsApp, then we recommend you take advantage of the WhatsApp business integration for Freshdesk. You can integrate your WhatsApp business number with Freshdesk and start supporting customers on one of the most popular messaging platforms in the world.
Note: In order to configure the WhatsApp integration:
- You need to be on the Garden, Estate, or Forest plan
- You must have a WhatsApp business number
How does the WhatsApp integration work?
This native app for Freshdesk enables you to convert your one-on-one WhatsApp conversations, including images or GIFs, into tickets for agents.
How to set up the WhatsApp integration?
- Go to Admin -> Channels -> WhatsApp
- Follow the instructions to find your Facebook Business Manager ID. Or, you can reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll guide you through the process.
- Place a request to link your WhatsApp business account with Freshdesk through this Early Access Onboarding form. We require the following details to set up your WhatsApp integration:
- WhatsApp Business display name
- WhatsApp Business phone number
- Facebook Business Manager ID
- Once you've submitted the Early Access Onboarding form, we'll send you the next steps needed to verify your WhatsApp business account. This verification can take a couple of weeks (or more).
- Next, you will need to confirm the integration through an OTP verification:
- Once you’ve verified your WhatsApp account, you can create a profile for your business. Here are the details you’ll need to complete:
- Business Name
- Click Save Profile to complete your business profile.
- You can integrate Whatsapp with Freshdesk account free of cost. Also, you can now integrate up to 10 Whatsapp numbers with your account.
- Since you can purchase the numbers free of cost, you can get any number from any part of the world and support your customers on the go globally. Some charges will be applicable for template messages. Template messages are applicable only for Freshdesk Omnichannel plans where WhatsApp is used for Freshdesk messaging.
- With this integration, you will be able to engage with customers via text messages. WhatsApp calls are not supported with this integration.
- Due to the WhatsApp 24-hour rule:
- You will not be able to initiate a conversation with a customer proactively -- customers will have to reach out to you first.
- Once the customer reaches out to you, you will have 24-hours to reply to their ticket. After that, you will not be able to reply.
- The 24-hour window starts when the customer sends the message to your number, and not when you receive the message in your ticket view.
- Likewise, your reply should be delivered before 24 hours, or else you will lose contact with the customer.
Engaging with customers on WhatsApp
Whenever a customer initiates a conversation via WhatsApp, a new ticket will be created with the channel as WhatsApp. Please note, if the customer’s phone number is already mapped to a contact, the new ticket will be created under the requester’s name. Otherwise, a new contact will be created for the contact number.
Agents can reply to the tickets by clicking on the Reply button. This will continue the conversation as a thread in the same ticket.
Threading interval: By default, a threading interval is set to 24 hours. Any replies coming in after 24 hours will create a new ticket within Freshdesk. This interval can be extended up to 48 hours under WhatsApp settings.
Setting SLAs and Automation rules for WhatsApp messages
You can set up custom SLA policies for tickets coming in through WhatsApp as a channel and make sure your agents adhere to these SLAs by sending them notifications periodically. Here’s how:
- Go to Admin -> Workflows -> SLA Policies.
- Click on Add Policy.
- Give the policy an appropriate name and description.
- Under conditions, choose Sources, and select WhatsApp.
- Provide your SLA targets and hit Save.
Click here to learn more about creating SLA policies.
You can also set up automation rules to route tickets coming in via WhatsApp to dedicated agents. Here's how:
- Go to A -> Automations.
- Click on New Rule.
- Under ticket properties, choose Sources, and select WhatsApp, and provide the necessary rules for ticket creation.
Click here to learn more about creating Automation rules.
For WhatsApp Integration, integrate your business number with your Freshdesk account and support customers over WhatsApp. This app for Freshdesk enables you to convert your one-on-one conversations including images or GIFs on WhatsApp into tickets and handle them from your Freshdesk helpdesk with ease.
Note: Access to WhatsApp Business API is necessary for this integration. Please fill in this form if you wish to try this integration out. Feel free to write to email@example.com if you require assistance in the approval process.
Once the approval is provided, you can install the app from the Freshdesk marketplace to integrate and convert your messages into tickets.
A quick guide to installing WhatsApp in your Freshdesk account:
Login to your Freshdesk account as an Administrator
Go to Admin > Support Operations > Apps > Get more apps > search for WhatsApp, click on it and hit the 'Install' button
Freshdesk subdomain (subdomain.freshdesk.com)
Freshdesk API key for authentication
Set the required interval for responses to get threaded in a single ticket, and
Add any required tags for all tickets coming in through this integration.
Click on 'Save'
This will install the app on your Freshdesk account.
For every incoming ticket, if the phone number is mapped to an existing contact inside Freshdesk, the ticket will be created with that contact as the requester. If the phone number is not present inside Freshdesk, a new contact will be created for this phone number.
Agents can use the 'Add Note' button to add a public note on the ticket in order to send out a response.
The Freshdesk ticket ID for that conversation will be appended to the end of each response sent by the Agent, inside WhatsApp.
The source of these tickets will be set to 'Chat' and the tag you mentioned while installation of the app will be added to every ticket. You can use the tag to filter tickets, whenever necessary.
Threading interval: By default, this is set to 24 hours. Any replies coming in after 24 hours will create a new ticket inside Freshdesk. This interval is configurable under app settings and can be extended up to 48 hours.
- What happens when a customer adds the business WhatsApp number to a group and messages?
Ans: Group conversations are not supported/possible with WhatsApp API. Tickets will not be created inside Freshdesk.
What happens when a customer uses the ‘Reply-to’ option in WhatsApp?
Ans: There will be no difference. These replies will come into Freshdesk as regular responses.
What happens when a message is deleted in WhatsApp? Will it get deleted in Freshdesk too?
Ans: Clearing the chat or deleting messages from inside WhatsApp will not affect the ticket conversation inside Freshdesk in any way.
Are attachments supported?
Ans: Incoming attachments from the requestor are supported but responding to the requestor with attachments is not supported
Can I associate more than one WhatsApp number with a Freshdesk account?
Ans: You can associate up to 10 Whatsapp numbers with a Freshdesk account
If you have any questions, please write to firstname.lastname@example.org.