Work better with your engineering team with the new and advanced Atlassian Jira plus app. The seamless two-way connection between Freshdesk and Jira ensures that your agents and the engineering team can collaborate effortlessly. Your engineering team will have clear visibility of customer requests and issues, and your customers get better and faster support.
Here are some things you can do with the integration
- Associate support tickets with issues in Jira for bugs, feature requests, etc.
- Give engineers a complete view of all customer conversations related to an issue
- Sync comments- Have the support team and engineers communicate in real-time using notes and comments
- Sync priorities- Prioritise issues in Jira based on the severity of impact for your customers
- Sync ticket and issue status- Keep agents and customers updated based on the progress of an issue on Jira
In this article, we’ll talk about
How the Jira integration works
When a customer contacts the support team about a product bug or a feature request, you can have the ticket linked to an issue in Jira.
You can either create a new issue or link tickets to an existing issue. While creating a new issue, the support team will be able to edit JIRA columns.
You can link the ticket to an existing issue, by searching for the subject or the ID of the issue
The Jira issue ID gets added as a tag on your Freshdesk ticket as soon as it’s linked to one or more Jira issue.
Engineers will be able to view details of the customer tickets linked to an issue. You can choose to have up to ten Freshdesk ticket fields made visible in Jira. Note that this is not available for on-prem JIRA accounts
Syncing properties between Freshdesk and Jira
You can sync properties in Freshdesk and Jira in different ways depending on your team’s workflow.
You can choose to have your custom statuses on Freshdesk mapped to the issue status on Jira
The priorities- low, medium, high and urgent in Freshdesk and Jira can be mapped with the statuses on Jira. This way, you can have product issues prioritized based on the impact for your customers.
Adding comments on Jira
You can choose to have a comment added on Jira issues when an agent adds a private note or updates the status of a ticket. This way, support teams can have engineers updated on the status of the customer issue.
Updating Freshdesk agents and customers
When an issue is updated on Jira, agents can be notified using a private note. Alternatively, you can have the customer update by adding a public note or sending an email to them directly. As an example, as soon as a product bug is marked as resolved in Jira your customers can be notified via email.
How to Install the Jira App
The JIRA integration for Freshdesk supports both cloud and on-premise variants, from the versions 7.0 up to the latest version.
- Go to your Freshdesk Admin page
- Under Helpdesk Productivity, click on Apps.
- Click on "Get More Apps". Select “Atlassian Jira Plus” and click on Install to go to your app configuration page.
- Enter your Freshdesk URL and your API key. This guide will help you find your API key.
- Under General Settings, choose how your’d like to sync updates between your Jira and Freshdesk and then click Install. Click here to find out how you can sync updates between Jira and Freshdesk
- Under “Jira account configuration”, enter your JIRA domain URL, email address, and API key. You can generate your API token here and verify your JIRA account. (For users who are using on-premise JIRA, can make the JIRA domain public by downloading ngrok. Their website has more information on download and installation procedures).
- Once you verify your account, you can choose the Jira fields and projects that need to be visible to your Freshdesk support agents while linking Freshdesk tickets to issues in Jira. You can then specify how you’d like the statuses and priorities of Freshdesk tickets and Jira issues to be synced.
- To restrict firewall access for Freshdesk to connect successfully to your JIRA server, please add an exception for the following VPC IPs based on your Freshdesk account's location
|United States||126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52|
|Europe-Central||184.108.40.206 and 220.127.116.11|
|India||18.104.22.168 and 22.214.171.124|
|Australia||126.96.36.199 and 188.8.131.52|
How is the Jira plus app different from the Jira app?
Here are some of the enhancements we've made
- You can choose how you'd like the statuses in Jira and Freshdesk to be mapped
- Connect multiple JIRA accounts to your Freshdesk account.
- Connect multiple JIRA issues to a Freshdesk ticket and also connect a JIRA issue to multiple Freshdesk tickets.
- Customize JIRA columns that need to be shown in Freshdesk once the ticket is linked with JIRA.
- Define agent roles to allow or restrict agents from deleting JIRA issues from tickets.
- You can now search for JIRA issues by the ‘subject’ fields as well as the issue number.